If you’re anything like me then you’ve been glued to the new season of The Great British Bake Off which aired last week. There is something about that show that brings me so much comfort and although Mary Berry, Mel & Sue have parted ways with the series, Paul Hollywood’s charming smile still keeps me hooked.
The only downside I find to watching Bake Off is that every time the baker’s creations are shown on screen my mouth starts to water and I crave delicious baked goods.
Seeing as this week was Biscuit Week on the show I thought would post a recipe that fits the theme. These aren’t quite like the butter and sugar riddled biscuits that were baked by the contestants though!! Oh no! These are low carb, refined sugar and dairy free, paleo-based cookies. Inspired by a recipe posted recently by health and fitness guru Sarah Stevenson (Sarah’s Day on Instagram and YouTube), these cookies are soft, sweet, moreish and most definitely don’t taste healthy.
My favourite element of the cookies was the chocolate chunks as I used my favorite brand of vegan chocolate called Loving Earth which is made with natural ingredients and is also organic. If you don’t have any allergies to dairy and you’re not fussy about refined sugar then you can definitely swap out ingredients as this recipe is very versatile.
The second time I made these cookies I added a scoop of plant-based protein powder by Third Wave Nutrition which supplies all of your essential amino acids and the chocolatey flavor is to die for! It is also made with refined sugar free as it is naturally sweetened with stevia leaf extract. One scoop is enough for the whole batter as you don’t want to go overboard on your protein intake (unless you’re a body-builder).
100g almond flour
2 tbsp coconut flour
1 tbsp milled linseed/flaxseed
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp coconut sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp coconut oil
2 tsp organic honey
1 large egg
60g chocolate (broken up into little chunks) (I used Loving Earth Mylk)
Dash of milk/ milk substitute (I used Almond Dream)
Pinch of Himalayan salt
20g chocolate/vanilla protein powder (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients excluding the chocolate.
- Place a small saucepan on low heat and add the coconut oil and honey. Stir until the mixture had melted and combined (do not let the coconut oil heat up too much).
- Pour the wet mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients, add the egg and combine.
- Pour in small amounts of the milk whilst stirring continuously until you get the consistency of cookie dough.
- Add in the chocolate chunks until they are evenly distributed. throughout the mixture.
- Put some baking paper on a tray and roll up teaspoon amounts of the dough into balls. Place your dough balls on the baking tray and flatten them.
- Put the cookies in the oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Once cooked, removed your cookies from the oven, allow them to cool and enjoy 🙂
These cookies are the perfect treat for when you’re in the mood to curl up on the couch with a cup of tea and a blanket. The consistency is the perfect mixture between the texture of a cookie and a cupcake.
I hope that you will enjoy them as much as I did.
Until next time,