For people who have an interest in healthy eating it may come as no surprise that chickpeas and other beans are being used in place of standard dessert ingredients but for the general population it sounds insane.
If you are somebody who bloats easily from grains or is trying to stay clear of gluten then you need to give these a go. They are super tasty and have a crumbly brownie-like texture.
Chickpea Blondies (Makes 6)
- 1/2 tin chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 90ml almond milk
- 40g maple syrup
- 125g peanut/almond butter
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1tsp baking powder
- 50g dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Blitz the chickpeas and almond milk in a blender.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the peanut butter, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon and baking powder together.
- Add the blended chickpeas to the mixing bowl and combine to create a wet mixture. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Transfer the mixture to a lined loaf tin and use a spatula to spread evenly.
- Place the tin into the oven and bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 40-50 minutes.
- Remove from the tin and cut into six even bars. Serve as they are or add a dollop of coconut yoghurt on top for a nice dessert.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.